- 5 Key Considerations when Choosing a California King Mattress
- 4 Different Types of California King Mattresses
- Review Section
- Classic Brands Cool Gel and Ventilated Memory Foam 12-Inch Mattress
- Our California King Mattress Guide
You’ve probably heard it before, but the average person spends anywhere between 30-45% of their life in bed – so, if you are 79 years old you’ve likely spent around 26 years sleeping and 7 years trying to sleep – which is a lot of time to spend in the one place. If you put that into perspective, ensuring you have a comfortable bed that is good for your body, your mind and your sleep hygiene is a huge part of your life… and a big (and very important) decision to make. Just think, you spend less time in your car than in bed (less than 10% of your life), yet you spend countless hours researching what car to purchase. So, why don’t we place the same amount of effort into a mattress or the same amount of cash?
We know, that’s a big statement and we don’t want to scare anyone, but a mattress is a big decision and you want to ensure you make the right one. From ensuring you choose the correct size to whether you like a firm/soft mattress to what kind of ‘feel’ you’re after (think soft cloud vs firm bounce), the decisions are endless, and the choices are all made to sound amazing. With all this mind, we thought we’d put together a list of the best 9 California King Mattresses around, as well as some information as to how to select the best model for your needs, and some key considerations to think about. After all, we want to make sure you make the best decision possible with all the information we can give!
5 Key Considerations when Choosing a California King Mattress
Here are 5 key considerations that you should pay attention to when deciding on the best California King Mattress for your needs:
- What mattress firmness would you like? What mattress firmness do you prefer? How firm or soft you like your mattress has a big impact on your decisions when choosing a model, especially when it comes to choosing a brand that offers the profile that you want or need.
- How do you sleep? What position do you sleep in? Everyone has a preferred position, whether it be on your stomach, your back, your side or a combination, and this affects the support a mattress needs to provide you.
- Do you sleep hot or cool? What temperature regulation do you require? Some people tend to run hotter when they sleep, whereas others are always on the cooler end of the spectrum. Either way, you will need to ensure that the mattress you choose is equipped with the temperature requirements that you need.
- What thickness would you like your mattress? Is this something you have ever considered? Mattresses tend to be 10-inches; however, they can be as low as 5 and as much as 15 inches. Your body weight may affect your preference concerning thickness, as lighter people may prefer shorter beds whereas heavier people may prefer thicker beds for more comfort.
- Have you considered what materials you would like your mattress to be made of? We’re talking about memory foam, latex or innerspring mattresses, among other options around. Each option has its pros and cons and offers benefits for different people and sleeping types.
4 Different Types of California King Mattresses
There are a few different types and varieties of California King Mattress, including:
- Memory Foam California King Bed
- Hybrid California King Bed
- Innerspring California King Bed
- Latex California King Bed
- Cooling Cloud and Firm Core Support foam
- Firm Core Support Layer
- Advanced temperature-stabilizing, ClimateComfort™ layer
- Stain Resistant Zip-N-Wash Cover
Overall Best California King Mattress – If you are looking for the Overall Best California King Mattress on the market, you are looking for the Puffy Mattress. It is suitable for all sleeper types, offers great spine alignment support and has a Cloud Gel layer that provides a welcome cooling and breathable addition to the mattress. There’s also a Stain Resistant Zip-N-Wash cover and climate-adaptive regulation across the whole mattress.
The Puffy Mattress also has a lifetime warranty for peace of mind and a 101-night worry-free trial. There are a few disadvantages to this mattress, however, including weak edge support, very little bounce due to the memory foam top and there is only 1 firmness available per model. Despite this, The Puffy Mattress is a great option that will suit a lot of people’s needs and is a worthwhile, long-term investment.
- Suitable for all sleeper types
- Excellent spine alignment support
- Designed to work with any frame or surface
- 101-night, worry-free trial
- Lifetime warranty
- Breathable and cooling Cloud Gel layer
- Climate-adaptive regulation
- Stain Resistant Zip-N-Wash cover
- Weak edge support
- Only 1 firmness available per model
- Very little bounce due to memory foam top
- Not suitable for people who weight 250-280lbs or more
- Cashmere Blend Euro Top Layer
- Patented ‘BestRest’ Coils
- 8-Layer Hybrid Design
- Medical Grade Visco Elastic Memory Foam
- Hi-Core 9.2 Grade Foam
Runner Up Best California King Mattress – Some people consider being a ‘runner up’ a bad thing, but in this case, it is something that the DreamCloud’s Luxury Hybrid Mattress should be very proud of. There are 8 layers of premium material, equating to a mattress height of 15 inches, with a Cashmere Blend Euro Top that offers both breathability and softness every time you lay down. The gel-infused memory foam layer ensures appropriate heat distribution and support in all the right places, with 5 distinct comfort zones to suit almost any sleeper type around. There’s also the perfect amount of contouring comfort and pushback support, meaning you will always wake up refreshed the next day.
If you are concerned about whether this mattress is right for you, there is a 365-night trial period and a warranty for as long as you own it, offering you peace of mind for the life of your purchase. There are a few issues with the DreamCloud’s Luxury Hybrid Mattress, including the lack of removable cover (meaning you cannot wash it), the 15-inch height of the mattress (which isn’t suitable for all bedframes) and the firm profile, however, this shouldn’t be off-putting. The benefits of this mattress far outweigh the negatives, and it is a great all-round mattress choice.
- 8 layers of premium material (15 inches in total)
- Cashmere Blend Euro Top offers breathability and softness
- Contouring comfort and pushback support
- Gel-infused memory foam offers unparalleled heat distribution and support
- 365-night trial
- Great breathability
- 5 distinct comfort zones
- Warranty for as long as you own the mattress
- Limited size availability
- Not a soft mattress, which may put some people off
- Does not have a removable cover
- Due to the height of the mattress (15 inches), it is not suitable for all bedframes
- Nolah Certipur-US® certified mattress
- Nolah AirFoam™
- High-Resilience Foam layer
- High-Density Base Foam
- Natural Viscose Cover
Best California King Mattress Under $1000 – If your budget is sitting at around $1000, the Nolah Original 10 is a solid choice for its price tag. It is very simple to set-up and is designed to work with almost any frame or surface available (including the floor!). The Nolah AirFoam is up to 300% more durable than memory foam, and offers 4x less peak pressure on your hips, back and shoulders, as well as being 100% temperature neutral. Nolah also offers a 15-year warranty and a 120-night trial for all buyers, ensuring you are adequately secure in your purchase for a considerable period.
This mattress is not perfect though, as it isn’t a great choice for back or stomach sleepers over 150lbs and has limited edge support, which narrows down the range of people that would find this option suitable. There is also a mandatory 30-night break-in period with a sleep trial, meaning you cannot return the mattress within 30 days. Although this may not be of concern to some, to others this could be a negative aspect. Finally, if you are after a firmer mattress, then the Nolah Original 10 is not for you. Given all of these points, however, this mattress is still a great choice for those on who have a set budget and will offer you many nights of comfortable sleep.
- Designed to work with any bed frame or surface
- 4x less peak pressure on hips, shoulders, and back
- 100% temperature neutral
- Nolah AirFoam™ is up to 300% more durable than memory foam
- Simple set-up
- 15-year warranty
- 120-Night Trial
- Not suitable for back or stomach sleepers over 150lbs
- Mandatory 30-night break-in period with every sleep trial
- Limited edge support
- Not suitable for anyone after a firmer mattress
- 2.5-inch layer of cool gel memory foam
- 3-inch layer of poly gel foam
- The 6.5-inch layer of high-density base foam
- Detailed waterfall edge cover with four-way stretch top and charcoal gray knit sides
- 12-inch profile
Best California King Mattress Under $500 – If you have set yourself a $500 limit when purchasing a California King Mattress, then the Classic Brands Cool Gel and Ventilated Memory Foam 12-Inch Mattress is a perfect choice. The cool gel memory foam layer offers temperature regulation, the poly gel form layer provides great breathability and the high-density base foam layer ensures both comfort and support whenever you hop into bed, providing a nice balanced combination of great components. This mattress also comes with a 10-year warranty to ensure you are sufficiently protected.
There are a few downsides that you should be aware of when it comes to the Classic Brands Cool Gel and Ventilated Memory Foam 12-Inch Mattress though. The first is the lack of back support, the second is that it is quite firm (so if firm to very firm mattresses aren’t your preference, this isn’t for you) and finally it isn’t that durable. Given its low price tag, however, this isn’t necessarily a surprise, and shouldn’t take away from the many benefits it offers. For a lower-cost model, this is a great choice!
- Cool gel memory foam offers great temperature regulation
- Poly gel foam layer for breathability
- The high-density base foam ensures maximum comfort and support
- The three layers of infused cool get, breathable poly foam and high-density base foam disperse heat
- 10-year warranty
- Only suitable for people who like firm to very firm mattresses
- Can lack in back support
- Not very durable
- Can have an unpleasant smell out of the box
- A thick memory foam layer
- Hybrid innerspring and memory foam mattress
- Coil support and foam contour
- Compressed and shipped in a box
Offered in 3 different profiles – medium-firm 8-inch profile, a medium 10-inch profile, or a plush 12-inch profile
- 6 inches of coil springs
Best California King Mattress Under $300 – Last, but certainly not least, is the Linenspa 10-Inch Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress. This California King Mattress sits in an amazing category – the Best California King Mattress Under $300 – and has so much to offer considering its low price point. With a combination of coil support and foam contour, this hybrid innerspring and memory foam mattress is offered in 3 different profiles – medium-firm 8-inch, medium 10-inch, and plush 12-inch – and is very comfortable and supportive.
But, as can be expected, with a lower price comes a few downsides. To begin with, it is only available online, meaning you cannot test it in person before you purchase. Also, if you are after a luxury mattress, this is not the mattress for you but, considering the price, it shouldn’t be expected to be. It is also quite memory-foam-heavy, so if you are not a fan of memory foam this isn’t the bed for you. Given its price however, this is the Best California King Mattress under $300 currently available on the market.
- Available in 3 different profiles
- A thick layer of memory foam that helps eliminate pressure points
- ‘Hybrid’ combines innerspring and memory foam benefits
- Cozy knit cover
- 10-year limited warranty
- Super affordable
- No way to test the bed in-store
- Don’t buy if you aren’t a fan of memory foam
- Not suitable if you are looking for a luxury mattress
- Memory foam is not that durable
Now we have looked at some of the best California King Mattresses around, take a look at a few more options that are also great choices.
If you are searching for the perfect balance of comfort and innovation, the Nest Alexander Signature Hybrid Mattress is a great choice for you. Between the great blend of pocket coils and memory foam to the extra edge support (which is lacking in a lot of other choices!), this mattress offers a range of benefits for everyone. The innovative copper-infused foam and high-quality individual coils work together for incredible support, while the extensive range of different profiles available means there’s something for you, no matter your sleeping type. The Nest Alexander Signature Hybrid Mattress, however, can be a little tricky to move, due to its weight, and if you are after that true ‘memory foam feel’ then this isn’t for you. Overall though, if you are prepared to pay a little extra, this is a worthwhile mattress to invest in.
The Nectar Memory Foam Mattress is made of quilted gel memory foam with a cooling cover, ensuring contouring to your body while providing optimal comfort and increased air circulation. The gel memory foam allows your weight to be distributed evenly, and the adaptive Hi Core memory foam supports your body and provides amazing mattress rebound and bounce. It also has a breathable base layer, which provides a stable foundation in combination with reinforcing the upper layers. The Nectar Memory Foam Mattress, however, has one of the most common downfalls – weak edge support – and with only one firmness rating (medium-firm), this may not be ideal for some sleepers. All in all, however, this mattress offers a lot of positives that you can benefit from in both the short and long-term.
When you hear the words ‘Bamboo Charcoal and Aloe Vera Infused Memory Foam’ about a mattress, you are likely equal parts intrigued and impressed… and you’d be right. The Lucid 12-Inch California King Hybrid Mattress offers medium-plush support, with individually-wrapped and high-quality steel coils offering additional durability to the overall design. The memory foam infused with bamboo charcoal works to eliminate odors, and the high-quality transition foam infused with Aloe Vera offers a calming and relaxing sleep environment while also promoting daily freshness. If you are after an extra firm or extra soft mattress than the Lucid California King isn’t for you, nor if you are looking for something that’s purely American-made, however, the other extensive benefits ensure this mattress is a worthwhile purchase.
Finally, there is the Tuft & Needle California King Mattress. This model offers a variety of benefits, ranging from Tuft & Needle Adaptive foam for a bouncy yet supportive feel to a 7-inch bottom layer that provides spine and neck support and ensures they stay properly aligned. There’s also the amazing mattress cover, which is constructed with a high-performance tactel fabric which is a soft, breathable blend of rayon and polyester. OEKO-TEX has tested and certified the cover to be free from chemical residues, phthalates, and heavy metals and the mattress also includes a chemical-free, TB-117 compliant fire barrier.
The Tuft & Needle California King Mattress, however, may not last as long as some other similar models, and although set up is easy, when it is delivered the box is quite heavy to carry! It is also a little on the firm side, so if you are after a soft mattress, this isn’t for you. When you look at the overall picture however, this mattress is worth its price tag and you will enjoy having a good night’s sleep.
Our California King Mattress Guide
After reading all the above reviews and considerations, you’ve likely started to get an idea of the kind of mattress you are after… and you’re thinking about buying one. We thought this may be the case, so we put together an 8-step buying guide to help you along.
Step 1: What’s your budget for your California King Mattress?
This is a big step and, realistically, one of the most important. What is your budget? How much are you wanting to spend? Do you have an upper limit? If this is the first time you have purchased a mattress for yourself, it may be worthwhile to skip this step, take a look at a few options first, then come back to it. This way you will create a realistic budget, as your expectations and the reality can be two very differing amounts.
Step 2: What firmness would you like your California King Mattress to be?
This is a big one, and one of the most well-known considerations when it comes to buying a mattress of any size, California King included. Firmness is a really personal choice – some people like firmer beds, some prefer softer, some need a particular firmness for health needs… it really depends. There are firm California King Mattresses, plush, medium, medium-soft, medium-firm, and the list goes on. If you are unsure as to what is best for you, go to a mattress store and try the different options – even if you purchase a mattress online from somewhere like Amazon, it is important to try the differing profiles in person if you aren’t sure what’s best for you.
Step 3: What support does your California King Mattress need to offer you?
The way you sleep, especially your sleeping position, will affect the location and type of support you will need. Whether you sleep on your stomach, your back, your side/s or a combination, will determine where your pressure points are and where sufficient support needs to be located. If you are unsure as to what the best support is for your needs, think about what areas (if any) are sore or stiff when you wake up and start your research from there.
Step 4: What materials would you like your California King Mattress to be made of?
You may know what materials you’d like your mattress to be made of due to a good, or a bad, encounter, or you may be willing to try something new. From memory form to latex to innerspring and a combination of them all, there are a huge variety of options available. Just remember – just because your best friend/cousin/work colleague told you how wonderful a particular material is, does not mean it will be the best for your needs. Make sure you speak to people and complete your own research, as you may be a lighter sleeper, you may sleep colder than others or you might need a little extra support in a different place, which affects your choice when it comes to the best California King Mattress for your needs.
Step 5: Is a trial period offered?
This is a big one! Irrelevant of whether you are buying a mattress online or in-store (but this is especially important if you are buying online), check if the manufacturer provides a trial period and, if so, for how long. There are varying offers around, from no trial period at all to an entire year, so make sure you review all options thoroughly. Also, find out what happens if you would like to return the mattress within the trial period – how easy is it? What steps are you required to take? Will you receive a refund and, if so, how much? It is better to know all this information, and not need to use it, than not know any of it and get in a difficult situation later on.
Step 6: What is the return policy?
This is another big one, especially if you are purchasing online. Does a mattress have a return policy, and what are the terms of the return policy? Make sure you read it before you buy, with the hope you will never have to use it. It is an awful feeling if you are unaware of the return policy, find that a mattress isn’t working, and when you do get around to taking a look, you find that you cannot return it (and you are out of pocket a lot of money!). If in doubt, contact the manufacturer directly and ask them to assist.
Step 7: What California Key Mattress thickness would you like?
You may be thinking that thickness is a bit of a strange addition to this buying guide, but the thickness can affect mattress comfort quite a lot. As mentioned above, mattresses are generally around 10-inches; however, they can be as low as 5 and as high as 15 inches. Your body weight may affect your preference concerning thickness, as heavier people may prefer thicker beds, but lighter individuals may find a thinner option provides sufficient comfort.
Step 8: How would you like to purchase your California King Mattress?
Would you like to head into a store and try your mattress in person, or are you happy to accept a ‘mattress in a box’ from an online store? A lot of brands have their own stores or warehouses where you can go and views different mattresses, however, there is an increase of online-only stores where you can only see the mattress on your computer or phone screen. Places like Amazon offer great deals and refund policies, however, always make sure you take a proper look at these aspects before you buy. Otherwise, only choose from brands that offer an option to view models in store.
What is bigger than a California king size bed? Technically, if you are looking at square inches of surface area, there are a few options bigger than a California King Bed. California King Beds are generally 84” deep and 72” wide, which equals 6,048 square inches of surface space:
- A ‘Standard’ or ‘Eastern’ King Bed is bigger than a California King size bed (despite many people believing it’s the other way around). Eastern king size beds are 6,240 square inches, being 80″ deep and 76” wide.
- Wyoming King Beds are around 7,056 square inches, being 84” deep and 84” wide (a 7 square foot mattress!).
- An Alberta King Bed sits at 9,216 square inches, being 96” deep and 96” wide (that’s a 9 square foot mattress).
- An Alaskan King is around a ten square foot mattress, being 14,400 square inches, 120” deep and 120” wide.
*All measurements are subject to change within 1-2 inches.
What is more popular – King or Cal King? A King bed is more popular that a Cal King bed.
What is the difference between king size and California king? The difference between a King size mattress and a California King size mattress is the dimensions – a King Bed is 4” shorter but 4” wider than a California King.
In conclusion, a mattress is a very personal thing to purchase. The size, type, firmness and material construction of a mattress are all super important, but the best combination of these components and many more are personally unique to you and you alone. You are the only who can decide what’s the most comfortable option available for you, so make sure you complete your own research thoroughly and consider all the options around before making a decision. You are going to spend a lot of hours lying on your mattress over the next few years, so you want to ensure you buy the model that is best suited to your needs!