- What Is The Best Harness For Chihuahaus?
- 3 Benefits of Using a Harness for Your Chihuahua
- Different Types of Chihuahua Harness Materials
- Popular Types of Harnesses for Chihuahuas
- Dog Harnesses for Chihuahuas
- 5 More Top Chihuahua Harnesses
- Frequently Asked Questions
Chihuahuas may be known as “purse dogs” but they need regular exercise like all other breeds. Chihuahuas are prone to obesity, so it’s imperative that you’re taking your pup on daily walks. Purchasing a quality dog harness is the first step to taking your Chi on safe, enjoyable adventures.
It can be challenging to find a good harness for Chihuahuas due to their tiny stature, but luckily there are a ton of great small dog harnesses available to Chi parents. In this guide we outline popular styles and materials for small breed harnesses, as well as the nine best picks for Chihuahuas.
What Is The Best Harness For Chihuahaus?
- Frisco Small Breed Soft Vest Dog Harness
- Puppia Soft Vest Dog Harness
- Best Pet Supplies Voyager Mesh Dog Harness
- Alfie Pet Vince Sailor Harness & Dog Leash
- Sporn Non-Pull Mesh Dog Harness
- Red Dingo Classic Dog Harness
- Frisco Soft Mesh Dog Harness
- Pawtitas Reflective Padded Dog Harness
- Sassy Dog Wear Puppy Paws Dog Harness
3 Benefits of Using a Harness for Your Chihuahua
- Chihuahuas are prone to tracheal collapse: Small breed dogs, and specifically Chihuahuas, are susceptible to having issues with a collapsed trachea. If you’ve ever walked your Chi on a leash and collar you may have noticed that they start coughing if they pull on the leash. This is because the collar is straining their neck and trachea. A good harness will take pressure off your Chihuahua’s neck and throat, which is incredibly important for small dogs.
- Harnesses are secure: Walking your Chihuahua on a harness is more secure than using a traditional collar and leash. Chihuahuas can easily slip out of a collar, especially if they become startled and try to escape. A harness will keep your Chi safe and secure on the leash so you can avoid potential disaster.
- Keep your Chihuahua warm: If you live somewhere with frigid winters and cold weather, a harness can help keep your delicate Chi warm. Some harnesses are built with additional insulation for harsh climates. Since Chihuahuas get old easily, a quality harness can help during those icy winter months.
Different Types of Chihuahua Harness Materials
While dog harnesses can be purchased in a wide variety of materials, below are the most common for small breed harnesses:
- Mesh: Mesh is a breathable material that is excellent for keeping your Chihuahua cool in the summer. Mesh harnesses also offer enough padding to warm up your Chi in the winter. Either way, mesh is a cozy, washable material.
- Nylon: Nylon is a strong, soft material that is typically used to make standard harnesses. This durable harness material will stand up to intense outdoor adventures and all types of weather.
- Polyester: Polyester is similar to nylon, but it’s tougher and abrasion resistant. A polyester dog harness will dry faster than one made from nylon. Both nylon and polyester are have stretch and shrink resistance, so these harnesses will general stay true to size.
- Neoprene: Neoprene is a rubber-like material that is frequently used to pad dog harnesses. It is flexible and a good choice if your Chihuahua enjoys participating in intense outdoor activities like hiking.
- Fabric: Fashion harnesses are typically made from fabric such as cotton. Fabric harnesses are washable and extremely comfortable.
Now that we’ve reviewed some common harness materials, let’s look into the popular harness styles for Chihuahuas.
Popular Types of Harnesses for Chihuahuas
The following types of harnesses are the most popular for the feisty, loyal Chihuahua:
- Mesh harness: Soft mesh harnesses are the most popular choice for Chihuahuas. Since Chis are small dogs who don’t use much force even when pulling, they don’t require a heavy-duty harness. A soft mesh harness will keep them comfortable, safe and secure at all times. Mesh harnesses generally come in vest style and over-the-head style.
- Standard step-in harness: Standard harnesses are easy to equip, inexpensive and are often available in a variety of colors, designs and sizes. These are typically made of durable nylon material.
- Fashion harness: Since Chihuahuas are easy to control due to their small size, fashion harnesses are a good option for them. If you have want a super stylish harness that fits more like a piece of clothing, fashion harnesses are available.
- No-pull harness: Chihuahuas aren’t known for pulling on the leash, but if they are high energy, you may have a difficult time controlling them when they get excited. A no-pull dog harness will help you steer your Chi in the right direction. They also make a great training tool for teaching proper leash walking.
Dog Harnesses for Chihuahuas
|Our 2019 Picks: Best Harness for Chihuahuas|
|Frisco Small Breed Soft Vest Dog Harness||CHECK PRICE|
|Puppia Soft Vest Dog Harness||CHECK PRICE|
|Best Pet Supplies Voyager Mesh Dog Harness||CHECK PRICE|
|Alfie Pet Vince Sailor Harness & Dog Leash||CHECK PRICE|
|Sporn Non-Pull Mesh Dog Harness||CHECK PRICE|
|Red Dingo Classic Dog Harness||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Soft Mesh Dog Harness||CHECK PRICE|
|Pawtitas Reflective Padded Dog Harness||CHECK PRICE|
|Sassy Dog Wear Puppy Paws Dog Harness||CHECK PRICE|
- Available in several sizes and colors
- Easily adjustable
- Reflective trim for visibility
- Simple step-in design
Best Dog Harnesses for Chihuahuas – This Frisco dog harness is extremely popular among Chihuahua parents. The breathable, lightweight design will keep your pup cool in warm summer months, and warm in the winter. This small dog harness is functional and affordable, offering premium comfort at a budget-friendly cost.
The Frisco Small Breed Soft Vest Dog Harness is incredibly simple to put on your Chihuahua, and it can be adjusted by way of a Velcro fastener. The harness secures with a fast-release buckle, and two D-rings help keep your Chihuahua secure. You can purchase this dog harness in a multitude of sizes and colors to best fit your precious Chi.
- Built with reflective trim for safety
- Easy to put on and adjust
- Cozy, lightweight material
- Coordinate with a matching Frisco leash
- Not machine washable
- Designed for fashion and comfort
- Made from soft-air mesh and polyester
- Available in a wide range of attractive colors
- Matching leashes available
This practical dog harness is terrific for Chihuahuas because it’s designed for ultimate comfort. The step-in style is easy to put on, and it can be adjusted with the Velcro fastener. The harnesses is padded with soft-air mesh and made from 100% polyester. Although this dog harness can be machine washed, a hand wash and dry is recommended.
The Puppia Soft Vest Dog Harness is available in several fantastic colors and sizes. You can even purchase a matching leash so your Chihuahua will be strutting their stuff in style. We love the price of this small dog harness, and the fact that the straightforward construction will be suitable for a wide range of activities.
- Several sizes and colors available
- Built with comfortable materials
- Practical design is easy to equip
- This harness is not escape-proof.
- Reflective bands for low light visibility
- Soft mesh is gentle on the skin
- Velcro fastener plus quick release buckle
- Available in four stylish colors
This small dog harness is another step-in style option made from breathable mesh. The lightweight, soft fabric will be gentle on your Chihuahua’s skin. It’s super easy to put on your pup, then you can adjust it via a fuzzy fastener. For additional safety, a snap-in buckle keeps the harness securely on your Chihuahua’s body.
The Best Pet Supplies Voyager harness is affordable and great for any Chihuahua on the go! It’s available in four attractive colors and you can purchase it in an XS size for those tiny Chis under 6lbs. We love that this small dog harness is machine washable.
- Reflective bands sewn in for safety
- Lightweight mesh material
- Machine washable
- Several sizes and colors available
- Suitable for teacup Chihuahuas
- This harness is not chew-proof.
- Harness and leash set
- Adorable nautical design
- Machine washable
- Super soft material
For those Chihuahua fashionistas, we recommend the Alfie Pet sailor harness. The adorable nautical design is sure to turn heads when you take your precious pooch out for a night on the town. The harness is extremely comfortable, as it’s made with lightweight fabric that fits snugly on your Chi. It’s also machine washable for convenient cleaning.
The Alfie Pet small dog harness comes with a matching leash for superior style. For safety, it secures with Velcro and a fast-release buckle. Although this harness is a step-in style, it fits more like a cute t-shirt. We recommend this harness for Chihuahua who walk nicely on the leash.
- Vibrant, stylish design
- Comes with a matching leash
- Machine washable
- Lightweight, gentle fabric
- Not the best choice for Chihuahuas who like to pull or lunge on the leash
5 More Top Chihuahua Harnesses
For those lively Chihuahuas who constantly pull on the leash, this harness from Sporn is a terrific solution. It offers a custom-like fit, and the patented design allows the harness to “give” with your dog’s movements. The choke-free design is great for Chihuahuas who suffers from tracheal collapse. The Sporn small dog harness is made with nylon for strength and durability, and it will stand up against all weather conditions.
If you prefer a traditional harness, we recommend this one from Red Dingo. It’s constructed with abrasion-resistant material for maximum strength. It features a trademarked Bucklebone release buckle which is among the strongest in the industry. Four adjustment points allow you to appropriately fit the harness to your Chihuahua so they are comfortable and safe. The classic Red Dingo harness can be purchased in a plethora of brilliant colors.
Another Frisco harness makes our list! This one is similar to the other option we recommend, but it boasts a unique over the head design. Simply slip the harness over your Chihuahua’s head, then adjust the belly straps for a perfect fit. The breathable mesh material is lightweight and cool for those warm summer months. This harness is affordable and can be purchased in a variety of colors and sizes.
This stylish, functional dog harness is great for Chihuahuas who enjoy engaging in a variety of activities. It’s a solid option for leisurely strolls as well as more intense adventures like hiking. The Pawtitas dog harness is built for maximum comfort with neoprene padding. It features reflective strip material for safety in low visibility conditions. You can even purchase a matching color and leash to go with this premium harness. The Pawtitas Reflective Padded Dog Harness is available in a multitude of color combinations to best suit your Chihuahua’s personality.
If you’re interested in a budget-friendly standard harness, this one from Sassy Dog Wear could be a good fit for your Chi. It’s made with durable nylon that will be gentle on your pup’s skin but hold up against consistent use. The step-in style harness is adjustable at two points and features a buckle with dual D-rings. This harness has an adorable paw print design which is available in blue or pink. It’s made in the USA by a family-owned business.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I pick the right size harness for my Chihuahua? Before purchasing a harness for your Chi, you’ll need to pick the correct size. Measure your Chi’s body length, girth and neck. Compare these measurements to the sizing chart associated with the harness you’re interested in. Sizes vary from brand to brand, so it’s crucial to order a harness based on measurements and not general size.
- How tight should my Chihuahua’s harness be? Your Chihuahua’s harness is fitting perfectly if it’s not restricting movement, your pup can’t chew on it or escape, and if you can fit two fingers between the harness and your dog’s body.
- What’s the best harness for a teacup Chihuahua? For Chihuahuas weighing less than 6lbs or so, we’d recommend a vest-style dog harness with a Velcro fastener. They are easy to adjust and fit onto even the smallest Chihuahua bodies. Always remember to check the sizing guide to pick the correct size for your precious pooch.
Although we’re confident in our list of the nine best dog harnesses for Chihuahuas, be sure to keep your proof of purchase in case you need to exchange the harness for a different size or style. It’s also a good idea to keep any tags or packaging. Remember to observe your Chihuahua in the harness to ensure it’s not causing skin irritation or movement restriction. Happy walking!