- What Is The Best Dog Harness For Corgis?
- What to Look for in a Good Harness for Corgis
- Tips for Getting Your Corgi Accustomed to a Harness
- Different Types of Harnesses for Corgis
- Overall Best Dog Harnesses for Corgis in 2019
- 5 More High Rated Harnesses for Corgis
- Frequently Asked Questions
Corgis are best known for their affectionate personalities and adorable stocky bodies. But don’t let their short legs fool you – these dogs are incredibly vigilant and athletic. Corgis excel at competing at dog sports and completing tasks on farms and ranches.
Whether your Corgi is herding cattle on your family farm or they ride the subway with you to play fetch in the office, they will need a comfortable, secure harness. These active dogs will require a fair amount of exercise, and you want to be sure that their harness is safe, lightweight and trustworthy. We’ve put together a list of the nine best harnesses for Corgis, and we invite you to choose one based on your Corgi’s lifestyle.
What Is The Best Dog Harness For Corgis?
- Chai’s Choice 3M Reflective Dog Harness
- Frisco Padded Front Lead Dog Harness
- PetSafe 3 in 1 Dog Harness
- Blueberry Pet 3M Reflective Multi-Colored Stripe Padded Dog Harness
- Buddy Belts Classic Dog Harness
- Kurgo Go-Tech Adventure Dog Harness
- Puppia Soft Vest Dog Harness
- PetSafe Easy Walk Dog Harness
- Blueberry Pet Spring Prints Dog Harness
What to Look for in a Good Harness for Corgis
Consider the following features when picking out a dog harness for a Corgi:
- Multiple adjustment points: A good harness for your Corgi will first and foremost fit their body type well. As Corgis are long and short to the ground, they may require a special fitting harness. A harness with multiple adjustment points will ensure a custom-like fit, and will work nicely if your Corgi is still growing. You will also want to make sure the harness fits your Corgi well so it’s not restricting movement or causing any irritation to their skin.
- Material: Since Corgis are working dogs and active by nature, you will want to purchase a harness made from durable and breathable material. Corgis love to participate in a variety of activities such as herding, playing fetch at the park or running on the beach. For these sorts of outdoor adventures, you will want to avoid overheating. A breathable mesh material or lightweight fabric will be best for active Corgis.
- Safety features: If you and your Corgi frequently go on outdoor excursions together, you may consider choosing a dog harness with safety features. Beneficial characteristics may include reflective straps and trim, an assistance handle, LED light attachment, weatherproof material and vibrant fabric for high visibility. For nighttime walks, camping or hiking, these safety features can be especially helpful.
- Fasteners: You will want sturdy, secure buckles on your Corgi’s harness, especially if they are a working dog. The last thing you want is for your dog’s harness to come unbuckled and lost when they are reveling in the fun of outdoor experiences. By having a quality, secure dog harness, you never have to worry about it coming off due to cheap buckles. Some harnesses are made with metal, military-grade fasteners, which are a trustworthy feature to have.
- Versatility: A good Corgi harness will be versatile so you can use it in a variety of situations. It’s nice to have a harness that you can use for walks, playtime and working, that way you don’t have to spend money on separate harnesses for each activity. Not only is having one utility harness convenient for you as a pet parent, but it’s also cost-effective!
Tips for Getting Your Corgi Accustomed to a Harness
It’s best to get your Corgi accustomed to their harness as young as possible.But if you just adopted an adult Corgi who is new to the concept of a harness, you can absolutely get them comfortable with it. All it takes is some positive training, along with patience and love. Use the tips below to effectively teach your Corgi to appreciate and enjoy their new dog harness.
- Dogs learn best through positive reinforcement training. This reward based training method helps strengthen the bond you have with your dog while effectively teaching them good behavior. When starting the process of getting your Corgi accustomed to their new harness, have plenty of their favorite treats available.
- For Corgi puppies or especially skittish adults, begin by placing the new dog harness on the floor in your home. Let your Corgi discover the harness and sniff it at their own pace. This process will help them adjust to the sight and smell of it. Treat your Corgi as they sniff the harness so they understand that the harness is a positive tool.
- Next, you can work to equip the harness on your Corgi. Reward them with treats as you put it on and adjust it. But don’t force the issue – if your dog is acting extremely fearful, give them a break and come back to it. You will want to treat any brave behavior to reinforce it.
- Once your Corgi is sporting their new harness, observe them wearing it around the house for a few minutes. Allow them to adjust to the way it feels and watch to be sure the harness is not restricting their movement in any way. Ultimately your Corgi shouldn’t even notice they are wearing a harness.
- When your Corgi is comfortable with their new accessory, it’s time for a walk! Attach the leash and head out for a basic stroll. Start with short walks if you have to and work your way up to longer ones. Bring treats on your walk to continue the positive reinforcement!
- The most important part of dog harness training is to not get frustrated and remain patient. Every dog learns at their own pace. As soon as you start to lose patience, so will your Corgi. Keep training sessions short and sweet, and give your pup a break if they need it.
Different Types of Harnesses for Corgis
- Standard harness: Basic harnesses are a good default option for Corgis. Corgis generally have an even temperament on walks a majority of the time, so a standard harness will work well. Basic harnesses are easy to equip and come in a multitude of fun designs and bright colors. Standard harnesses for Corgis are common and frequently available via several online retailers. And don’t forget the cost! A basic harness will more often than not be the least expensive dog harness type.
- Car safety harness: Since Corgis are a loyal part of the family, they deserve to be included in road trips and car rides! This is where a vehicle safety dog harness comes in handy. You can avoid distraction while keeping your Corgi safe by purchasing a harness that can double as a vehicle restraint. For Corgis who like riding in the car, we suggest choosing a dog harness that is crash-tested. We like car safety dog harnesses because they can be secured in the car then used as a regular walking harness.
- No-choke harness: Smaller breed dogs can have issues with tracheal collapse. Because of this medical condition, we recommend purchasing a harness that won’t put any pressure on your Corgis neck or throat. A step-in harness or one with a V-neck chest piece design will help avoid injury or strain. Some harnesses even fit across your Corgi’s neck, so it won’t ride up their body and choke them if they are pulling on the leash.
- No-pull harness: Does your Corgi like to control walk time by pulling on the leash? Or perhaps they become enthusiastic if they see a friend or critter nearby. A no-pull dog harness will help keep your Corgi under control under these circumstances. Corgis aren’t large dogs, but their powerful legs and muscular bodies make them strong. And an excited Corgi will do anything they need to in order to get what they want! Purchase a no-pull dog harness if this sounds familiar.
Overall Best Dog Harnesses for Corgis in 2019
|Our 2019 Picks: Best Corgi Harnesses|
|Chai’s Choice 3M Reflective Dog Harness||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Padded Front Lead Dog Harness||CHECK PRICE|
|PetSafe 3 In 1 Dog Harness||CHECK PRICE|
|Blueberry Pet 3M Reflective Multi-Colored Stripe Padded Dog Harness||CHECK PRICE|
|Buddy Belts Classic Dog Harness||CHECK PRICE|
|Kurgo Go-Tech Adventure Dog Harness||CHECK PRICE|
|Puppia Soft Vest Dog Harness||CHECK PRICE|
|PetSafe Easy Walk Dog Harness||CHECK PRICE|
|Blueberry Pet Spring Prints Dog Harness||CHECK PRICE|
- Reflective trim for visibility
- Padded chest and belly straps
- Two leash attachments
- A variety of brilliant colors available
The Chai’s Choice 3M Reflective Dog Harness is our favorite Corgi harness because of its overall versatility. The harness boasts a secure, comfortable design, which is made out of breathable fabric. The chest and belly portions are padded yet lightweight, making it a good choice for daily walks or herding cattle.
The 3M reflective trim add visibility for nighttime adventures, and an assistance handle on the back of the harness allow you to give your short-legged friend an extra boost. This Chai’s Choice dog harness has multiple points of adjustment so it will fit your Corgi perfectly. And for your fashionista, this fantastic harness is offered in a multitude of vibrant colors.
- Suitable for any type of adventure
- A seatbelt can be looped through for car safety
- Several attractive colors available
- Comfortable and breathable
- Can be used as a no-pull harness
- Must be hand washed
- Suitable for dogs who pull
- Four points of adjustment
- Built with a padded chest piece
This Frisco harness is great for Corgis because it’s highly adjustable. Since Corgis have stocky bodies, a highly adjustable harness is helpful to get the perfect fit. This harness slips over your pup’s head, then can be adjusted at the shoulders and belly. Two buckle fasteners help ensure that your Corgi will be safe and secure while out on adventures.
Even if your pup likes to pull on the leash, this harness will work for you! A front leash attachment allows you to steer and control your dog for appropriate leash walking. We like that this harness is a good mixture of comfort and practicality. The nylon material is durable, and the padded chest piece is extra cozy. This Frisco dog harness is a fantastic, affordable option for Corgi parents!
- Great for daily use
- Highly adjustable
- Durable yet comfortable
- The chest piece may shift and twist if the harness doesn’t fit properly
- Works as a car safety restraint
- Five adjustability points
- Reflective nylon stitching
- Neoprene strap padding
We love this versatile 3 in 1 harness from PetSafe. It can be used for standard walking, dogs who pull or in the car for safety. Five adjustment points help ensure a snug, secure fit for your Corgi. And when you get in the car to begin your next adventure, put the seatbelt through the harness’s top loop to keep your driving distraction free.
If your Corgi is enthusiastic on the leash, a front D-ring allows you to attach the leash for ultimate control. It can also be used as a traditional walking harness with a second D-ring on the back. This harness is equipped with reflective stitching so your Corgi will be visible in low light conditions. The innovative PetSafe 3 in 1 Dog Harness is available in a handful of colors and sizes.
- Highly adjustable for a custom fit
- Reflective stitching for safety
- Can be used as a vehicle restraint
- Great for dogs who pull on the leash
- 1 year limited warranty
- Some pet parents have faced confusion with the design when putting the harness on their dog.
- Made with lightweight mesh and polyester
- Padded for comfort
- Two-vest design to evenly distribute pressure
- Adorable color combinations available
This unique dual-vest dog harness is suitable for all of your Corgi’s favorite activities. Adjustable neck and neck straps help provide a custom fit. This padded harness is made with mesh, polyester and oxford materials for premium quality and comfort. Buckles made from recycled materials secure the harness so your Corgi will stay put.
This harness is super stylish for those fashion-forward Corgis. You can choose from 3 different color combinations to best fit your pup’s personality. No matter what colors you pick, every harness comes with reflective stripes and a triangular patch to make sure everyone can see your canine companion no matter the light conditions.
- Unique dual-vest design
- Made with sturdy, quality materials
- Attractive colors available
- Suitable for any type of adventure
- Machine washable
- Some pet parents report that the manufacturer’s sizing chart may run small.
5 More High Rated Harnesses for Corgis
The Buddy Belts Classic Dog Harness is made out of leather, making it an extremely durable option for your Corgi. This dog harness is super easy to equip with one simple buckle. The innovative design ensures there won’t be any strain put on your Corgi’s trachea if they are pulling on the leash. The leather material is heavy-duty, making this dog harness great for Corgis working or playing in any conditions. It does have a soft liner for premium comfort, and you can even purchase liner replacements if you need them! The Buddy Belts Classic Dog Harness is stylish and it is available in attractive colors.
For car safety and outdoor adventures, we recommend the Kurgo Go-Tech dog harness. Your Corgi will be secure in your vehicle with this reinforced dog harness, as its crash-tested design will keep pups up to 75lbs safe. This dog harness will keep your car distraction free, as your Corgi will be strapped in via a seatbelt loop. When your journey is complete, simply unbuckle the seatbelt and use this Kurgo harness to continue your activities. A padded vertebrae protector is built in for additional safely. A reinforced Nesting Buckle System can be trusted to keep your Corgi safe and secure on the leash and in the car.
We like this Puppia Soft Vest Dog Harness because although it’s rather standard looking, it’s comfortable, lightweight and secure. The breathable mesh material is great for any sort of fun outdoor excursion. The design of this harness won’t put any strain on your Corgi’s neck or trachea, making it a wonderful option if your pup likes to pull on the leash. Fashion meets function with this dog harness, and you can’t beat the price point!
If your Corgi is constantly pulling on the leash, the PetSafe Easy Walk Dog Harness is a fabulous choice. The no-pull design helps reduce and eliminate pulling without causing any strain or injury to your dog. The belly strap is helpful if your Corgi likes to wriggle out of their harness, and quick-snap buckles make it easy to put on and take off. We like that the PetSafe Easy Walk Dog Harness is known for its reliable fit and comfortable design. Your Corgi will no longer choke when attempting to pull with this fantastic dog harness.
Corgis have jovial attitudes and they can be quite sassy. We like this dog harness as a standard yet stylish option. The grosgrain ribbon and nylon webbing design is durable and secure while offering a fashion statement for your fancy pup. The harness is adjustable and is built to ensure that your Corgi’s trachea won’t be compromised if they begin pulling on the leash. This dog harness is machine washable and can be paired with an adorable, coordinating leash for extra flair!
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I choose the appropriate size harness for my Corgi? Corgis are short and stout, so they require a harness that is adjustable for their body type. The best way to choose the appropriate size harness for your furry friend is to pick one based on measurements, not general size. The most crucial measurement you will need is their girth. When purchasing a dog harness online, you will most likely have access to a sizing chart. You will want to compare your dog’s measurements to the available sizing guide, and choose the appropriate size based on your findings.
- How do I keep my Corgi from slipping out of their harness? Your Corgi shouldn’t be able to wriggle free of their harness if it’s the correct size. Make sure the dog harness is adjusted correctly. You should be able to fit two fingers between the harness and your Corgi’s body. If the harness is still too loose, you may need to purchase a different size or style of harness. Dog harnesses with a belly strap are more difficult to escape.
It’s important that you choose a dog harness based on your Corgi’s lifestyle preferences. When you receive your new harness, keep all tags and the receipt associated with your purchase. You’ll need those items just in case you need to return or exchange the harness.