- Key Considerations when Choosing a Mattress for a Platform Bed
- Different Types of Mattresses for Platform Beds
- Best Mattress for Platform Beds
- DreamCloud’s Luxury Hybrid Mattress
- 7 More Top Rated Mattresses for Platform Beds:
- The Nectar Memory Foam Mattress
- Nolah Original 10
- Linenspa 8 Inch Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress – Medium-Firm Feel – Twin
- Zinus Memory Foam 12 Inch Green Tea Mattress, Queen
- Classic Brands Cool Gel and Ventilated Memory Foam 12-Inch Mattress, CertiPUR-US Certified, Queen
- Frankly Luxury Memory Foam Mattress
- Nest Alexander Signature Hybrid
- Our 2020 Mattress Guide for Platform Beds
A good night’s sleep is essential for a positive, productive waking day, whether you’re the type of person who thrives off four hours or need a full eight hours of sleep to function. Where you lay your head to rest at night is crucial; after all, we each spend about one-third of our lives sleeping in bed – that’s not even counting those hours you spend on your laptop or reading your favorite book.
If you have recently purchased a platform bed or are considering making the switch, you will find that the perfect mattress-to-platform bed combination is vital to ensure your ultimate comfort. This guide takes into consideration the many types of sleepers there are out there: the ones who like a soft, plush mattress to fall into, those who prefer firmer support, side sleepers, back sleepers, on-your-belly sleepers – you name it! Platform beds have a unique look that, depending on the model, can be ultra-practical. While some platform beds prioritize aesthetics and are meant to be sleek and minimal, others offer a ton of storage, helping you clear your bedroom of clutter while offering a stable place to lay on. Since platform beds ditch the box spring, your options for a new bedroom look can be endless.
You may be considering using your old mattress or just purchasing whatever is on sale but when you are using a platform bed, it’s better to consider doing the research to figure out what the best mattress for platform beds is. Certain beds will deliver the kind of comfort that gently lulls you into a good night’s sleep every night. Others, not so much. Because it can be tricky doing this research on your own, we’ve put together an easy-to-follow guide that covers key considerations when choosing a mattress for a platform bed, the different types of mattress materials you can choose from, a couple of highly-rated hand-picked options, a buying guide, and answers to some frequently asked questions! Read on to learn more about the best mattress for a platform bed and discover what your individual preferences are so you can make the best purchase to enhance your time of rest – every night.
Key Considerations when Choosing a Mattress for a Platform Bed
- Support/Firmness – As you know, this is a key factor when deciding on any resting surface, particularly a bed where you spend a large part of your life. This is all dependent upon your preference: are you the type that loves to fall into an ultra-soft, cozy mattress that envelopes you into a deep embrace? Or are you the type of person who prefers maximum firmness that offers sturdy support while you escape off into dreamland? If you are not sure where you land on the spectrum, you can try out a medium-firm mattress, which is the middle ground between the two extremes and then you can go from there.
- Weight – A solid mattress is meant to support the weight placed upon it without getting bent out of shape. The weight of the mattress itself is also important to note if you will be moving around a lot. You will find that some materials are heavier so you can make your decision based on how much your mattress weighs compared to how often you plan to rearrange your bedroom (or move altogether), so be sure it is compatible with your unique lifestyle and expectations. Also, be sure to check the weight limits on your platform bed to confirm the weight of your chosen mattress (plus your weight) does not exceed them.
- Height/Thickness – Some mattresses can be as short as eight-inches, while others can come in making a big statement at 15-inches. When using a platform bed, the thickness of the mattress itself is all there is to support your body, so it may take extra consideration prior to purchase. Since memory foam mattresses will experience a little bit of deflation when weight is placed on them, try to stick with a thickness level that will feel sufficiently comfortable for you. However, if you are looking to stay close to the ground for any disability issues, you may want to opt for a lesser thickness to ease your mobility.
- Comfort/Cooling – Waking up due to overheating during those extra hot summer nights is a thing of the past. You can choose a mattress that offers breathability and a cooling sensation during sleep, no matter the climate. Although memory foam mattresses have a reputation of being able to trap heat, new designs have been created to combat the issue and now you will encounter several different models that have a gel memory foam layer specially designed to maintain a cool temperature. That way, you get the comfort of memory foam and the comfort of a cool mattress so you can sleep the night away without a drop of sweat.
- Size – A simple, but extremely important consideration. Be sure to get the appropriate mattress size for your bed frame and be cognizant of its height. Some bed frames have shorter headboards while others have higher ones. If you pair a high headboard with a low-sitting mattress, it will create an unsightly gap that will also probably swallow all your pillows. Be sure to measure carefully and order the right size to avoid the hassle of returning any purchased products, especially because many of these models come compressed and once you open them, they will not fit the original packaging!
- Trial Period – For many years, testing out mattresses in-store was the easiest way to shop around for the right mattress. However, with the advances of technology, a simple click can get you a mattress delivered right to your doorstep. This is why most manufacturers will offer a certain period of time when you get to try out the mattress and see if it’s a good fit for you. Mattresses can be tricky, giving you a great night’s sleep the first week and turning on you the following month. Each body is different and will require a different model for ultimate rest, so check the details for the mattress you have your eye on and make sure your big purchase gives you a little wiggle room in case you change your mind.
- Warranty – If the bed is high-quality, the warranty is a given. You will likely encounter 10-year warranties, 15-year warranties, even lifetime warranties, depending on the mattress you choose. Read through the limitations of each warranty to be sure you’ll be covered for anything from faulty manufacturing to accidental damage. The warranty will offer you some peace of mind, especially with such an important purchase.
Different Types of Mattresses for Platform Beds
- Latex Mattress – Latex mattresses are generally going to be the heaviest of your available options for a platform bed, so it will need a strong foundation to uphold its weight along with the weight of the person(s) and pet(s) sleeping on it. Make sure your platform bed has slats with close spacing – three to four inches of spacing between slats increase its strength to hold this heavier style of mattress without any bulging out from underneath.
- Innerspring Mattress – The innerspring mattress is the traditional style most are acquainted with. By removing its partner, the box spring, and utilizing the sleek platform bed option, you can give this old-school mattress a modern look. Take a look at your mattress warranty, however, to be sure you are covered even if using a platform bed and not using the box spring it was originally designed to be paired with.
- Hybrid Mattress – A hybrid mattress brings two styles together: the innerspring style forms the base layer and memory foam tops the mattress out, giving the best of two mattress worlds. With this type of mattress, you gain the standard support offered with the foundational layer, and a soft and flexible upper portion to relax on.
- Memory Foam Mattress – Memory foam mattresses can usually be used with just about any base and are a favorite of many for their “sinking in” feeling. When used with a platform base, the raised foam is able to “breathe,” which keeps it free from any buildup of moisture and consequent mold. Having a raised platform bed with slats placed closely together will provide the support and breathability this comfortable style of mattress requires.
Best Mattress for Platform Beds
- Comfortable for different sleeping positions
- Free FedEx shipping
- Can be used on different platform bed styles
- Lifetime warranty
Overall Best Mattress for Platform Beds – The Puffy Mattress is a memory foam mattress that pulls out heat with its Cloud Gel layer that keeps you from overheating while resting. It is adaptive to different climates and uses a ClimateComfort™ layer that keeps temperature consistent throughout the night, ensuring your comfort and sleep quality every time you go to bed. During colder seasons, you will experience a subtle warmth and during hotter seasons, you will notice a delicate cooling sensation.
If you have been sleeping on a mattress that causes back pain, you know just how important it is to be able to rest on a mattress that supports your spinal alignment. The Puffy Mattress adapts to every part of your spine, giving you the sensation of ultimate comfort where you hardly feel the mattress you are laying on. You will experience the relief of pressure from any uncomfortable points in your back while experiencing the comfort of spinal alignment.
The cover is stain-resistant, so you won’t have to worry about any accidents. You will be able to easily wipe down any spills and for cleaning after long-term use, you can just unzip, throw the cover in the wash, and you will have a cover that is good as new, ready to handle the next accidental spill! With the purchase of The Puffy Mattress, you are not only bringing comfort home, you are also being charitable because Puffy donates to children in need of a cozy place to sleep on.
- Free shipping
- Temperature control
- Charitable purchase
- Lifetime guarantee
- Weak edge support
- Eight layers of premium materials
- 365-night trial
- Everlong warranty
- Financing options available
Runner Up Best Platform Bed Mattress – DreamCloud’s luxury hybrid mattress includes eight layers of comfort: a cashmere blend euro top, gel-infused memory foam, quilted memory foam, natural latex, supporting memory foam, dense and soft memory foam, “best rest” coils, and high density super soft memory foam to absorb movement. You will have enhanced rest on this mattress because it was designed to give you just that.
The firmness on this mattress is optimal for side sleepers, those who like to sleep on their back, and those who lay face down to enjoy some rest. One of the layers, the gel-infused layer, has a two-fold purpose: 1) heat distribution and 2) contoured support. The top layer, the cashmere blend, will envelop you with an unparalleled softness you will come to anticipate eagerly with each passing day.
The “best rest” coils layer makes resting on this DreamCloud mattress not only luxurious, but practical because it offers the support your back requires for consistently good rest. You can forget the days of waking up in pain because the mattress was too old or too poorly made to offer the support your spine requires to keep you mobile and resting comfortably.
- Eight layers designed for your comfort
- Cashmere top delivers luxury
- Appropriate for different sleeping positions
- At 15-inches, it may be too tall for some bed frames and headboards
7 More Top Rated Mattresses for Platform Beds:
The Nectar memory foam mattress is made with several materials that make the one-third of your life spent in bed more comfortable and restful. The quilted gel memory foam and cooling cover offer your body the support it requires while contouring to your unique shape. The gel memory foam distributes your weight evenly and keeps you cool throughout your sleep cycles. The adaptive Hi Core memory foam offers additional support by creating the rebound and bounce every mattress requires. The base layer is breathable and creates a stable foundation that reinforces its upper layers to ensure overall coziness. You’ll find comfort with this mattress no matter your favorite sleeping position because it suits them all.
The Nolah mattress can be used on any flat surface, meaning it is perfect for use on a platform bed. It is scientifically proven to have four times less peak pressure on core parts of the body, including your hips, shoulders, and back when compared to more expensive memory foam models. Its AirFoam™ technology keeps a neutral temperature to keep you comfortable without the use of viscoelastic chemicals. The cover is soft and airy and keeps moisture at bay. All materials are made in the U.S.A. and you can try it out for 120 nights. It also has a 15-year warranty and ships for free!
This Linenspa mattress is a total of eight-inches thick with a hybrid mattress style that incorporates both an innerspring mattress that gives it a medium-firm feel plus a layer of memory foam that assists with correct spinal alignment while minimizing pressure to alleviate pain or discomfort during and after resting. The cover is knitted, offering a unique, cozy feel and it comes with a 10-year limited warranty.
This Zinus memory foam mattress is CertiPUR U.S. Certified for “durability, performance, and content.” It has several layers, including three inches of memory foam, two inches of comfort foam, three and-a-half inches of airflow high density foam, and three and-a-half inches of airflow high density base support foam. These layers are designed with your best night’s sleep in mind and will provide pressure relief to help you melt into your dreams. Zinus suffuses its memory foam with a natural green tea extract that assists with maintaining freshness over the course of their products’ life. This mattress will arrive at your door neatly compressed for the ease of shipping and you can watch the magic of its expansion immediately after unpacking!
This Classic Brands memory foam mattress includes three layers of high-quality gel memory foam that work in unison to deliver maximum comfort and optimal rest. The memory foam contours to your body and ensures the regulation of temperature, so you sleep comfortably cool and feeling as light as a feather. The material is hypoallergenic and naturally antimicrobial which makes it resistant to mold, bacteria, dust mites, and any other allergens you are trying to keep away from your bed. You can test this mattress out for 100 nights – they are so confident in their product they give you that no-risk trial period to fall in love with the product!
The Frankly Mattress is 12-inches of soft memory foam with four different layers – each designed with a specific purpose. The two-inches of gel memory foam offer temperature control, the one-inch of Hi Core foam distribute weight evenly, the eight-inches of core support offer long-term use and support, and the one-inch of base foam offers a reinforced foundational layer. This mattress allows you to sleep comfortably, even on hot nights, because it pulls the heat away from your body and its cover encourages air flow to keep you cool and contented throughout the night. The cover is also machine washable, making it convenient to clean whenever you’d like!
The Alexander Signature Hybrid mattress includes memory foam with a blend of pocket coils that offer edge support and overall comfort. The Thermic Phase Change Cooling Fabric ensures your mattress maintains a consistent temperature, so you don’t experience any hot spots on a summer night. This mattress ships factory direct for free and comes with a lifetime warranty. If you need to pay the total over the course of several payments, there is APR financing available for your convenience – you can be sleeping on this mattress in just a few days!
Our 2020 Mattress Guide for Platform Beds
- What does comfort feel like to you? Are you into plush, luxurious, heavenly clouds of soft material that keep you cool throughout the night? Do you prefer the standard medium-firm style mattress that has a little give but not too much? Or are you into an extra-firm mattress for added support on your hips and back? These are all important to consider when deciding on your new mattress. More than likely, this purchase will last for several years so there is no point in skimping on comfort. You deserve the most optimal rest, no matter your comfort style.
- Do you have any unique sleeping requirements? If you have suffered an injury or are disabled, you may have specific requirements ranging from firmness and support to height considerations if moving from your bed to a wheelchair or needing to be extra close to the floor for assistance with getting out of bed. Similarly, if you are shorter in height or taller than average, you may want to opt for a mattress and platform bed that give you optimal height for getting in and out of bed with ease.
- What is your sleep style? Do you like to sleep on your side or your back? Maybe you prefer to sleep face down throughout the night. If pregnant, your sleeping style may be fixed for a few months. Take into consideration what your sleep style is and how your mattress purchase will complement it. Some mattresses are ideal for any sleeping style, while others will cater more to a specific position. Check out the specs of your preferred mattress to determine if it will be the best for you.
- Consider your budget. You may come across the most luxurious, highest-rated mattress that sounds perfect, but you must make sure your budget is prepared for the purchase. You may opt for a notch down, finding a mattress that offers high-quality at a more affordable price. Or, if you insist on splurging, check to see if there are financing options and be sure you can make that monthly payment. Practicality and luxury can meet in the middle, all the while giving you the mattress you’ve been (quite literally) dreaming of.
- Check out some reviews. Reviews are a great way to get a sense of what unbiased parties think of the mattress you are interested in. Sometimes, embedded within a review, is that particular detail that makes or breaks your decision. Noting what some view as “cons” can give you a well-rounded perspective to make your expectations of the product more realistic.
- Make your purchase! All that’s left now is for you to dive in! After reviewing the different details, from height and thickness to firmness and ultimate comfort, you’re ready for the final step. Note when your trial period starts and get to buying!
- What is the best type of mattress for a platform bed? While a platform bed can be used with all types of mattresses, it is best suited with a memory foam mattress. Platform beds have wooden slats, that when spaced tightly together, provide the breathability this type of mattress requires, while also ensuring appropriate support for your definitive comfort. The sturdy base of a platform bed makes it so each layer of your memory foam mattress is supported optimally to deliver the plush sensation you get when you lay down to rest.
- Do you have to have a special mattress for a platform bed? There is no special mattress required for a platform bed; several options can be used ranging from an innerspring mattress to a memory foam or latex mattress. Hybrid options can also be used on a platform bed, the final decision is based on your preference for style and comfort.
- Are platform beds comfortable to sleep on? Platform beds provide sturdy support so the mattress you decide on can rest evenly on it and deliver the comfort it was designed to. Since platform beds provide such a strong, unyielding base, it is best to opt for mattresses that are sufficiently thick so when you lay down, you don’t sink to the platform portion of the bed. When considering thickness for a mattress, keep this in mind, knowing your weight will be absorbed by the mattress and you’ll need enough give to avoid touching the platform base.
- Are platform beds durable? Platform beds, when used appropriately and with regular wear, can be optimal because they sit close to the ground. Their position offers great stability and support and so long as their weight limits are abided by, your platform bed can last for as long as you wish to use it.
- What is the difference between a platform bed and a regular bed? The main difference between a platform bed and a regular bed is how each supports the mattress placed on top of it. A platform bed has wooden slats that create the base for the mattress to lay on directly. A regular bed is supported by a box spring, which is considered bouncy. A platform bed won’t rebound like a box spring, so it is the more stable of the two.
There you have it! You can now dive into the purchasing phase, fully informed about the best mattress styles out there, your unique preferences (maybe even some you hadn’t considered), the amount of money you can plan to spend, and the deep, fulfilling rest you can plan to have. There is a mattress out there just waiting for you to pick it out of the pack to help you relax into deep slumber. Your platform bed will offer the perfect support for the new addition to your room, whether you opt for an ultra-thick mattress or one of the more standard options. You’re the boss.
Remember to consider how much support you will need and what your firmness preferences are – it’s also a good idea to ask your partner, so if you are on opposite ends of the spectrum, you can find the middle ground. The height and thickness are important considerations as well, especially if you are going with a memory foam mattress – it will sink a little bit so be sure you have enough cushion! If you’re a hot sleeper, try opting for a cooler style mattress or one specifically engineered with cooling technology, so the heat doesn’t get you. Worst case scenario, if you take the plunge and you decide you don’t like your new mattress, it’s okay! Just let the manufacturer know. That is why they offer trial periods, some for an entire year (are they confident or what?)! If you know you’ve chosen the perfect mattress and you’re loving it, keep your warranty details handy so you can take care of anything that might come up during your protected period.
Your purchase should be made with your specific preferences in mind. If your heart is calling out for the most affordable of the bunch or the most luxurious, you have options. Whether you need to finance the purchase, or your favorite mattress falls within your budget, every aspect of the buying process can be catered to your specific needs. Don’t forget to take accurate measurements! Avoid the dreaded mattress-to-headboard gap by being extra careful with how your new mattress will sit on your platform bed.
You now have our top picks and some additional options to peruse through and if you have any questions as you go through your options, come back to our FAQ’s section! We are excited that you will soon be experiencing unparalleled levels of comfort on your new, fully customized bed. You can thank us later!