- 5 Key Considerations when Choosing a Mattress for a Trundle Bed
- 4 Different Types of Mattresses for Trundle Beds
- Best Mattress for Trundle Beds
- 6 More Top Mattresses for Trundle Beds
- Zinus Memory Foam 8 Inch Green Tea Mattress
- SLEEPINC. 8-Inch Memory Foam Mattress
- LUCID 8 Inch Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress
- Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam 8 Inch Mattress
- Nod by Tuft & Needle Twin Mattress
- Classic Brands Cool Gel Ventilated Gel Memory Foam 8-Inch Mattress
- Ashley Furniture Signature Design – 8 Inch Chime Express Memory Foam Mattress
- Our 2020 Trundle Mattress Buying Guide
A trundle bed is a type of bed that can slide out from underneath another bed. It is very useful for rooms that are tight on space and form a perfect solution for when you have guests staying over. Trundle beds have also had a resurgence in popularity recently due to the emergence of Airbnb, as they can provide an extra bed in a flexible and versatile way. The mattress is the most integral part of a trundle bed and due to the strict space requirements, there are some aspects to a trundle bed mattress that are not considered for other types of beds. This guide will help you find the best mattresses for your trundle bed and guide you through the process of choosing which one is right for you.
5 Key Considerations when Choosing a Mattress for a Trundle Bed
Choosing your ideal mattress is a very personal decision and differs depending on several factors. Make sure you know what values are important for your mattress before purchasing. Here are a few things to keep in mind.
- Comfort – Identify what makes a mattress comfortable to you. Side sleepers, in general, will require a very soft mattress to be comfortable whilst back and stomach sleepers often prefer medium firmness. Also, keep in mind temperature regulation.
- Support – Find a mattress that will properly support your body when you sleep. Waking up achy is a sure-fire sign of a mattress that is failing to support an area of your back.
- Durability – You should be getting at least 8 years out of your new mattress. Remember that buying a super cheap mattress may seem like a good idea but it may just mean you end up spending more money in the future.
- Edge Support –Will you be wanting to sit on the edge of the mattress? If so, it’s important to invest in a mattress that can properly deal with the increased pressure.
- Size – Will the mattress be too tall for your trundle bed?
4 Different Types of Mattresses for Trundle Beds
- Memory Foam – Famously NASA technology, this material is known for how it contorts to the shape of your body. Choose this type if you desire to sink into your mattress rather than sleep on top of it. It can be expensive if not used in combination with other types of foam.
- Innerspring – The traditional option, innerspring mattresses use coils of steel to support your frame. The quality of this type of mattress is dependent on how the coils are set up (individually or intertwined) and the number of coils in place. Try to go for a mattress with more coils for better support.
- Latex Foam – Latex foam is naturally hypoallergenic and therefore resistant to mold and dust mites. This mattress type also is great at temperature regulation without the need to inject a cooling gel into the top layer. However, it is not ideal for a wireframe trundle bed as it will sag and become curved. This will negatively impact comfort and sleep quality.
- Hybrid – The most common type within the budget bed-in-a-box category. This uses combinations of different foams to try and achieve a high-end memory foam experience, at a fraction of the cost and without some of the drawbacks.
Best Mattress for Trundle Beds
Linenspa 8 Inch Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress – Medium-Firm Feel – Twin
- Hybrid Mattress – Has a top layer of memory foam, atop a layer of poly foam, resting on 6.5” of steel support coils.
- Medium-Firm Feel
- Ships in a box
- Superior pressure point relief
- Ten Year Warranty – This covers any defects in the materials or workmanship of the mattress. This does not, however, cover general wear and tear or damage from transit or handling.
- Soft-polyester blend cover with an additional tiny layer of memory foam
Overall Best Mattress for Trundle Beds – The Linenspa Hybrid is an ultra-affordable and convenient 8” mattress that in our opinion provides the best bang for your buck on the market today. It is a hybrid mattress constructed from a layer of memory foam atop an individual layer of poly foam, with this resting on a 6.5” layer of innerspring. The memory foam and poly foam helps to fill the space in your lower back lumbar region and fosters relaxation. The hybrid design gives the mattress the bounce that many consumers desire, whilst retaining the comfort and pressure relief that we have come to love from memory foam mattresses. This means that you can comfortably change positions without the feeling of sinking that you can experience on a pure memory foam mattress. The inclusion of a spring coil layer also allows for greater airflow inside the mattress. This is beneficial for temperature control and does this without the need for an expensive active technology that would skyrocket the price. This feature also gives the Linenspa Hybrid a greater resistance to mold.
This mattress is ideal for kids, teens, and young adults and is, therefore, a superb option for the average trundle bed user. This mattress thrives when occupied by lightweight users as they will gain the most comfort from its top two layers of memory foam and poly foam. Heavier people will experience a greater level of sinkage into the mattress and may experience some discomfort. If you are planning on your trundle bed being used as an occasional guest bed, it will be perfectly serviceable. However, if you need a mattress that is going to see regular usage by a person on the heavier side, the 8” and 10” versions are not for you. If your under-bed has enough space, we would recommend upgrading to the 12” model as it provides a great budget option that grants more support for heavier people. Side sleepers will also find that due to the extra concentration of pressure on the mattress, they will experience a firmer resistance and interact more with the coil support system. This can cause uncomfortable pressure on the shoulders. The Linenspa’s tempered steel coils resemble a coil spring system (as opposed to a pocket spring). This means that any pressure generated by motion will be spread across the whole mattress. This shouldn’t be a problem for a typical trundle bed that sleeps one. If you are planning to share the bed by combining two mattresses using a trundle pop up, you may experience slight discomfort from the high level of motion transfer.
At just $99, there is nothing else quite like the Linenspa Hybrid Mattress on the market. This is an excellent budget option and is worth thinking about if your child needs a mattress.
- Great value for money
- Available in three different widths – 8, 10, and 12 inches.
- Ideal for kids, teens, and young adults
- Suits front and back sleepers
- Convenient delivery via Amazon
- Perfect for an Airbnb room
- Heavier people might need to add a mattress topper for comfort.
- Side sleepers might experience discomfort from the support coil layer.
- Motion transfer might cause an issue if you are planning to share the bed.
Olee Sleep 10 Inch Gel Infused Layer Top Memory Foam Mattress Blue
- Medium-Firm Mattress
- Gel Based Layer for Temperature Regulation
- 10 Year Manufacturer Warranty
- Adaptable Top-Layer Support
Runner Up – The Olee Sleep 10 Inch Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress is one of the cheapest on the market and succeeds in delivering a quality product at a fraction of the cost of its competitors. Coming in at under $150, you simply won’t find another 10-inch mattress in this price bracket that compares.
The 10 inches of foam allows the sleeper to be absorbed into the bed, but not enough for it to be uncomfortable. This is the advantage of utilizing a hybrid foam model, with the base layer producing a more ‘neutral’ experience in combination with the memory foam layer. The Olee Sleep is particularly great if you are a user on the heavier side. Unlike an 8-inch mattress, 10 inches provides enough layers to ensure individuals weighing over 200 lbs get a great night’s sleep. The extra 2 inches also mean that side sleepers do not have to worry about the extra pressure they place on the bed, a problem that they will particularly face in non-foam mattresses.
Whilst memory foam can sometimes be associated with getting too hot, this Olee Sleep mattress uses gel technology as a solution. The gel works by easily allowing heat to transfer through it into the layer of foam below. This works to enhance breathability, as well as making sure you do not overheat when sleeping.
From a price to quality ratio, the Olee Sleep is worth every penny. The ten-inch thickness gives it a versatility that few can match at this price-point. If you want a memory foam-based mattress on a budget for your trundle bed, you can’t go wrong here.
- Great Price
- Great Temperature Control
- Side sleeper approved
- 10 inches deep
- Suitable for people over 200 lbs
- 10 inches might be too big for your trundle bed
- Those expecting a pure memory foam experience may be disappointed
6 More Top Mattresses for Trundle Beds
Zinus Memory Foam 8 Inch Green Tea Mattress
The Zinus Memory Foam 8 Inch Green Tea Mattress is made up of 2” of memory foam, 2” of comfort foam, and a 4” high-density base support foam. This means that it’s a great option for side sleepers as the additional pressure placed on the mattress will not be met with an uncomfortable level of resistance. As well as being a super comfortable mattress in its own right, it is also uniquely infused with green tea extract and Castor Natural Seed Oil. The green tea extract has hypoallergenic properties that help to prevent the build-up of bacteria and mold. The infusion also works to ensure that the Zinus mattress smells great (as long as you appreciate the aroma of green tea)! It must be noted however that some buyers have found the mattress to get too hot. This can sometimes be a problem in memory foam beds without gel infusion for temperature regulation. That being said though, the budget price makes the Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam worth considering. Just make sure that you like the smell of green tea!
SLEEPINC. 8-Inch Memory Foam Mattress
The SLEEPINC. 8-Inch Memory Foam Mattress is quite new to the market and therefore there is very little information out there for potential buyers. The Amazon reviews are clear though, sleepers love it! At under $150, this SLEEPINC. mattress represents great value for money for a memory foam mattress. Also worthy of note is that the mattress is handcrafted in the USA unlike the majority of bed-in-a-box manufacturers who opt for Chinese manufacture. Unfortunately, SLEEPINC. have not released any details of the exact make-up of the mattress, so it is difficult to assess how it will hold up in the future. There is a 30-day money-back guarantee, as well as a 10-year limited warranty to help give you peace of mind if you decide to buy this mattress. The mattress contains a gel to help control and regulate temperature and prevent the sleeper from getting too hot. This sets it apart from some other bed-in-a-box memory foam mattresses.
LUCID 8 Inch Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress
The LUCID 8 Inch Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress is a great mattress for those looking for a slightly firmer feel. It consists of two foam layers enclosed in polyester fabric: a 2” gel memory foam layer on top, and a 6” high-density polyfoam base on the bottom. The memory foam layer compresses and adapts to your body weight, giving relief to pressure points. Likewise, the base layer helps give deep compression support, increasing the durability of the mattress without compromising on the comfort of the sleeper. Of course, this is a memory foam mattress, so expect to experience sinking into the bed. A lot of people love the feeling of sinking into their bed rather than on top of it. However, if this does not sound good to you, we would recommend investing in a hybrid/innerspring mattress instead. Memory foam has a reputation for poor temperature control, but the gel infusion does a great job absorbing the heat and moving it away from the top level of the mattress. The aerated holes also help on this front. If you are an exceptionally hot sleeper and have room on your trundle bed for the 10” version of this mattress, the cover will be made with a Tencel blend, a cotton substitute that is very thin and breathable. This is a great option for anyone on a budget who wants the sinkage that memory foam provides.
Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam 8 Inch Mattress
The Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam 8 Inch Mattress is made up of 2” of memory foam, 2” of pressure-relieving comfort foam, and a 4” high-density base support foam. The memory foam is made from a new carbon-neutral variant of the material called ‘BioFoam’ making it the most environmentally friendly option when choosing a foam bed. Despite being only 8 inches thick, the mattress does well in contouring to the natural shape of your body. Whilst you will not experience the same level of sink that you find in a more premium memory foam mattress, some sleepers may prefer this. This mattress is very similar to Zinus’ Green Tea offering and so we would suggest if you are interested in either model to go with the cheapest at the time. Other than the green tea infusion, these mattresses are likely to produce very similar levels of comfort. Zinus have hit it out-of-the-park with their budget memory foam offerings and we are eager to see what they produce in the future.
Nod by Tuft & Needle Twin Mattress
Nod by Tuft & Needle is an Amazon exclusive Bed in a Box mattress. The mattress consists of a 2.5” poly foam comfort layer and a 5.5” poly foam support layer as the base. By using 100% poly foam, the Nod by Tuft and Needle loses the sunken feeling that defines memory foam mattresses and gives it a soft ‘neutral’ quality. It does not feel like you are falling into the bed but simultaneously it doesn’t feel like you are being pushed up either. This makes it perfect for rotating sleepers who change positions throughout the night. The Nod by Tuft and Needle is also a great choice for back, front, side, and combination sleepers. Unfortunately, the choice of these materials and the depth of the mattress make it a problematic option for heavier users. We would not recommend this mattress for regular use to anyone over 210 lbs as it doesn’t produce enough relief to provide a comfortable night’s sleep for heavier sleepers. However, it shouldn’t be too problematic if you are planning to use this mattress as part of your trundle bed for guests staying a night or two.
The mattress lacks any kind of cooling technologies but saying it sleeps hot would be a disservice. The lack of sink helps prevent the sleeper from getting enveloped in the foam and heating up too much, but, if you sleep in a hot environment, this mattress will do little to cool you down. For that reason, we would describe the Nod by Tuft & Needle as temperature neutral.
The Nod mattress has a 100-night risk-free guarantee that lets you try out the bed and decide whether you want to keep it after your trial period. This makes it a very appealing budget option as you can effectively try before you buy. Problematically, the Nod by Tuft & Needle is significantly more expensive than its counterparts on this list which makes it difficult to recommend over other great value mattresses. Thankfully this mattress constantly goes on sale as one of Amazon’s deals of the day, oftentimes shaving $100 of the price. The mattress’ slogan is ‘Great sleep isn’t complicated and shouldn’t be expensive’ and to some extent, it achieves this.
Classic Brands Cool Gel Ventilated Gel Memory Foam 8-Inch Mattress
The Classic Brands Cool Gel Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress consists of a 2” gel-infused memory foam layer and a 6” high-density base foam layer. It is described by Classic Brands as providing medium to firm resistance. The memory-foam layer succeeds in cradling the sleeper and providing pressure point relief. It also is hypoallergenic, meaning that the mattress is more resistant to allergens, mold, bacteria, and dust mites. The gel technology present in the memory foam layer also succeeds in regulating the top temperature of the mattress, providing the sleeper with a more optimal sleeping environment. Some reviewers on Amazon have claimed that this gel cooling effect diminishes over time, leaving the mattress ‘retaining heat like a heat blanket.’ Despite this, it was great to see Classic Brands replying to reviews offering their support to resolve the issue. As with most mattresses of this type, Classic Brands offer a 10-year worry-free guarantee.
The memory foam creates a slight but reasonable sinking for the sleeper, adjusting to the contours of your body to relieve pressure. This will help to reduce tossing and turning during the night, but might also make it a tad uncomfortable for sleepers who move around more as they fall asleep. The 8” mattress has also received positive reviews from heavier sleepers who find the resistance level to still be firm without an excessive level of sinking. This is a great budget option for anyone looking to get a memory foam mattress for a competitive price.
Ashley Furniture Signature Design – 8 Inch Chime Express Memory Foam Mattress
This mattress consists of a 1” thick memory foam layer, a 1.5” transition foam layer, and a 6” core foam base. This is wrapped in a hypoallergenic stretch knit cover. The top 2 layers mean that this mattress has a plush feel to it, creating a moderate sinking for the sleeper. You can, however, tell that this mattress contains only a limited amount of memory foam. It is a far more neutral sink than a traditional 100% memory foam mattress, so if you are looking to get that feeling of being absorbed into the bed, look elsewhere. This isn’t to say that going for a memory foam hybrid is wrong. There was a glowing review from a 6’5”, 274lbs man who said the bed was ‘beyond comfortable’ and that he didn’t find the mattress ‘very firm at all.’ By having greater resistance, it can accommodate heavier sleepers. It is worth noting that there have been reviews from side sleepers who claim that it was hard for them to get comfortable without purchasing an additional mattress topper.
Our 2020 Trundle Mattress Buying Guide
- Measurements – Before buying your new trundle mattress, you first need to know what size will fit in the lower bed section. This will typically mean you must choose a mattress either 8 or 10 inches thick.
- Price – This list assumed that you wanted to spend less than $300 on a mattress, but perhaps you have recently won the lottery and are willing to pay whatever it takes to get the world’s best trundle bed mattress. It is important to set a realistic price limit before buying a mattress. This helps keep your expectations in check and also helps to prevent overspending on a mattress you can’t afford.
- Material – Knowing the type of feeling you want from sleeping on a mattress should dictate what mattress type you buy.
- Sleeping Position – How do you sleep at night? Different sleeping positions put different levels of pressure on the bed. If you sleep on your back, your weight is spread more evenly across the mattress and so you can opt for a mattress with less depth. People who sleep on their side do not have this luxury.
- Set-up – So you’ve ordered your mattress from Amazon, it has arrived, and you’ve unboxed it. What’s next? It is important to allow time for your bed-in-a-box mattress to expand to its full depth. This usually takes 24 hours but, in some cases, it can take up to 3 days. Also, don’t worry about the smell. This is just a by-product of factory production and should dissipate over the next week.
- Looking After Your Mattress – Whilst most bed-in-a-box mattresses come with a 10-year warranty, it’s important to look after them if they are to maintain their level of quality comfort.
What size mattress goes on a trundle bed? Typically, trundle beds are available in full and twin sizes but sizes can vary. It is important to remember that the lower mattress must be around 8 to 10 inches thick, to be tucked away under the bed when not in use. Of course, bed frames can vary dramatically in height and width, so be sure to know the measurements of yours before buying a mattress for your trundle bed.
Can you put a trundle under any bed? For your bed to be trundle compatible, it needs to have enough room to fit both the trundle bed and mattress. Whilst the measurements of these will vary depending on which trundle bed and mattress you purchase, you should be looking to have at least 12 inches of vertical space to accommodate them. If you opt to purchase an optional 6-inch box spring for additional comfort, you will be needing a minimum of 18 inches of vertical space.
Do you need a special mattress for a daybed? Nope! Whilst daybeds and trundle beds have different form factors and frames, a great mattress that fits a trundle bed will be just as comfortable on a daybed. A daybed resembles the form of a sofa, with 3 enclosed sides, and a back that transforms into a pseudo-headboard when the mattress is rolled out.
Is a trundle bed comfortable? Much like a standard bed, a trundle bed will only be as comfortable as the mattress you place on top of it. If you are willing to spend a bit of extra cash on a new quality mattress, then there should be no reason that a trundle bed would be any less comfortable than a standard bed. Likewise, if you opt for a budget or an old and worn-out relic of a mattress, you should expect some discomfort! We would recommend buying a mattress that fits the maximum width of your under-bed and is constructed with high-quality materials. If you absolutely must opt for a budget model, consider buying a memory foam mattress topper that can be placed on the under-bed and removed when not in use. This will allow the user to reap some of the benefits of a top-quality memory foam mattress, at the expense of convenience and storage.
Does a trundle bed pop up? Though not a standard feature, some trundle bed frames are fitted with a mechanism that allows for the extra mattress to be raised to the height of the top mattress. These do not usually join up to form a bigger bed, but it instead creates two separate raised beds. Raising a bed allows for increased air flow to the mattress, and subsequently reduces the potential for mold to form inside it. There are however health benefits to both raised and floor beds, so choose based on what you think looks best.
How do you keep a trundle bed from moving? Most trundle beds come with an under-bed on wheels that allow it to be rolled out when necessary. To prevent the under-bed from moving while in use, you can use locking casters that will ensure the bed stays in place. Locking casters can be bought for under $15 and are easily the most aesthetically pleasing solution and the simplest to use. When you want to roll the under-bed back under the main-bed, simply unlock the wheels. If you require an immediate (if temporary) solution, you can attach a rubber band around your under-bed wheels to stop any movement.
We hope you have found this guide helpful and that it will help you in your pursuit of a mattress for your trundle bed. Remember to take your time whilst making your decision and weighing up the pros and cons of each mattress. Buying a mattress is an expensive decision and should not be done on an impulse. That being said, we strongly believe that you won’t regret buying any of these 9 mattresses for your trundle bed!